Champions League final 2014: Diego Simeone holds on to hope that Diego Costa will recover to lead Atletico Madrid to European glory
Simeone refuses to rule out striker despite revealing he suffered a right hamstring injury in the 1-1 draw with Barcelona that clinched the La Liga title
Monday 19 May 2014
Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone says it's still too early to rule Diego Costa out of the Champions League final despite striker's chances of playing looking slim.
Costa limped off early in Saturday's 1-1 draw at Barcelona that clinched Atletico's first Spanish league title in 18 years, and the club said Monday he had suffered a right hamstring injury that will be evaluated day-to-day.
Atletico plays city rival Real Madrid in the final in Lisbon on Saturday. Simeone said "the week has just started, there are still some days until we have to decide. It's still early."
Atletico would ensure the greatest season in club history with a victory in Lisbon on Saturday, when it returns to a European Cup final for just the second time and first in 40 years.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Video of Irish 'professional boxer' fighting Istanbul neighbourhood goes viral in Turkey
- 2 Novel Scarlett Johansson tried to ban, Grégoire Delacourt’s The First Thing You See, to be published in UK
- 3 A pint of water every day is the key to losing weight, scientists say
- 4 Russia 'accidentally reveals' number of its soldiers killed in eastern Ukraine
- 5 Carol Vorderman reveals she is 'covered in burns' after she fell off her treadmill while running naked
Dresden riots: Protesters in Germany attack refugee buses shouting 'foreigners out'
France train shooting: US soldiers speak of the moment they stopped gunman and 'beat him until he was unconscious'
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn accused of 'deluding' young supporters with 'claptrap'
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith calls for urgent ESA overhaul as part of drive to cut down welfare costs