Champions League round-up: Mourinho's Madrid carry on the good work
Wednesday 19 October 2011
Real Madrid, chasing a record-extending 10th European Cup triumph, were last night's highest scorers as they beat Lyons 4-0 at the Bernabeu for their third straight win in Group D much to the delight of coach Jose Mourinho.
"Our group isn't easy, we are doing a good job," he said. "We have nine points from nine. It was only easy against Lyon because we played well from the first minute."
Karim Benzema struck against his old club in the 19th minute, and Sami Khedira (47th), Mesut Ozil (55th) and Sergio Ramos (81st) all scored.
Ajax were the other Group D winners, beating Dinamo Zagreb 2-0 in Croatia with their first goals of the competition from Derk Boerrigter and Christian Eriksen. Real lead with nine points, Ajax and Lyons both have four.
Internazionale, European champions two seasons ago, moved to the top of Group B with Giampaolo Pazzini scoring in their 1-0 win at Joe Cole's Lille while CSKA Moscow moved off the bottom by beating former leaders Trabzonspor 3-0 at home.
Latest in Sport
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Topshop at centre of row over body image as 'shocking' skinny mannequin photo goes viral
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'