Dortmund sign Greece defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos
Tuesday 28 May 2013
Greece defender Sokratis Papastathopoulos is joining Champions league finalists Borussia Dortmund from Bundesliga rivals Werder Bremen.
Dortmund said that it the 24-year-old has signed a five-year contract. The German giants also said the two clubs agreed not to disclose further details of the transfer deal.
Papastathopoulos joined Bremen from Italian club Genoa two seasons ago. He says he benefited from the time with Bremen and added: "Now it was time for me to take the next step."
Dortmund finished second in the Bundesliga this season behind Bayern Munich after winning the title in the previous two seasons.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
From rainforests and reefs to beaches and boat trips
comedy'Fresh Meat' star sees off stiff competition from Alan Carr, David Mitchell, Graham Norton, Lee Mack and Sarah Millican to win top prize
Latest in Sport
World Cup 2014: Football Manager developers predict the team of the tournament - but which England player makes it into the XI?
Manchester City should have known rules in Bayern Munich match, says Rafa Benitez
Robin van Persie injury: Manchester United striker ruled out for a month after picking up thigh injury in win over Shakhtar Donetsk
Ashes 2013-14: Bowlers go short to let Aussies off the hook again
Champions League last 16 draw 2013: Who could Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United meet?
- 1 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 2 Australia incest case: Deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- 3 Physicists discover 'clearest evidence yet' that the Universe is a hologram
- 4 Woman who miscarried in private prison 'made to clean up after herself,' court told
- 5 Fox News presenter tells viewers it is a 'fact' that both Jesus and Santa Claus are white