Eric Abidal return lifts Barcelona amid Tito Vilanova health scare
Midfielder has returned to training following liver transplant
Thursday 20 December 2012
The Barcelona captain, Carles Puyol, said the players have drawn strength from defender Eric Abidal's return to good health as they come to terms with news that coach Tito Vilanova needs further cancer treatment.
Abidal yesterday returned to training for the first time since a liver transplant in April. Puyol said: "You're never prepared to hear news like this, but Abidal's example gives the team strength and I'm sure Tito's case will do the same. It's not just an example to us but to the man in the street, proving that if you fight hard, everything will be fine.
"The best way to support him is to keep moving forward."
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Latest in Sport
Tim Sherwood challenges Daniel Levy to set out vision for Tottenham Hotspur’s future
The worst owner in football? Vincent Tan faces fan backlash as Malky Mackay clings to Cardiff job
Bonuses for goals and top four finish as Luiz Suarez joins Premier League's top three earners
Luis Suarez: Liverpool striker ends exit speculation by signing 'long-term' contract
Transfer news: Tottenham Hotspur - January transfer targets
- 1 Tim Sherwood challenges Daniel Levy to set out vision for Tottenham Hotspur’s future
- 2 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 5 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'