Europa League final: Benfica v Chelsea match preview
A look ahead to tonight’s Europa League final at the Amsterdam ArenA
Wednesday 15 May 2013
Jose Mourinho could be just a short time away from a return to Stamford Bridge but tonight, Chelsea will be hoping to follow in his footsteps by winning the Champions League and Europa League in consecutive seasons.
The Blues failed in their defence of Europe’s most prestigious tournament but will now battle it out for the next best thing as they take to the Amsterdam Arena pitch with Benfica in the Europa League final.
The two clubs, both giants in their respective countries, met for the first time in last season’s Champion’s League quarter-final and while this will give each of them a good knowledge of the opposition, it could instil fear into the Portuguese outfit as Chelsea were victorious in both legs.
Rafa Benitez’s men have won five of their last six matches across all competitions - two of which resulted in a comfortable aggregate victory over FC Basel in the Europa League semi-final.
On the contrary, Benfica will head into the game on the back of a crushing defeat to Porto that could cost them the league title and, if they struggle to pick themselves up in time, the chance of European glory too.
KICK-OFF: Wednesday, 7:45pm
Chelsea 2 (Lampard, Meireles) Benfica 1 (Garcia), Champions League, April 2012
Benfica 0, Chelsea 1 (Kalou),Champions League, March 2012
- Juan Mata is preparing to make his 63 club appearance of the season.
- This will be Benfica’s ninth major European final. They won their first two in 60/61 and 61/62 but have lost each of their last six.
- Chelsea have suffered just one defeat in their eight previous matches against Portuguese opposition, winning six.
- Benfica have registered just one victory in their last seven clashes with English sides.
- Cardozo has scored in six of his team’s last ten matches against English teams.
- Chelsea are vying to become only the fourth team to lift all three of Uefa’s major club trophies after Juventus, Ajax and Bayern Munich.
Benfica to win: 3.15
Chelsea to win: 2.48
TV: Live on ITV at 7:45pm.
World's most lethal spider found under a bunch of bananas
Rumours that the star wants to move on to pastures new
TV presenter Fiona Bruce seemed a bit startled by the find during the filming of Antiques Roadshow
Comedian says he 'never laughed as hard as I have writing with Rik'
Latest in Sport
Harry Redknapp: 'Adel Taarabt is about three stone overweight. I can't pick him'
QPR vs Liverpool match report: Liverpool snatch victory in seven minutes of madness
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce calm over lack of new contract
QPR vs Liverpool player ratings: Who was the star man? And did Mario Balotelli emerge with any credit?
Radamel Falcao: How faith and love drive the Manchester United striker to glory
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientists who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Ebola outbreak: What is bushmeat – and is it to blame for the disease that has killed thousands?
- 3 Star Wars memorabilia dubbed 'bit of plastic' by Antiques Roadshow's Fiona Bruce valued at £50,000
- 4 Russell Brand might seem like a sexy revolutionary worth getting behind, but he will only fail his fans
- 5 Michael McIntyre walks off stage after woman in the front row uses her phone
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Sorry Judy Finnigan – Ched Evans is no less sickening than an alleyway rapist
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Workers 'could be forced to pay £5 a week' to get benefits
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'