Europa League Final: Branislav Ivanovic says victory over Benfica is 'like a dream'
The defender scored an injury time winner
Thursday 16 May 2013
Chelsea's Europa League match-winner Branislav Ivanovic has hailed his stoppage-time header as one of the best moments of his career.
The Serbian powered home to give Chelsea a 2-1 victory over Benfica at the Amsterdam ArenA.
It earned Ivanovic the man-of-the-match award and was personal redemption for the burly defender, who missed last year's Champions League final triumph against Bayern Munich through suspension.
"This is one of the best moments of my career," he said.
"Winning a European final like this is a dream.
"I always said it is the team who win every title - not individuals. Even tonight we had some people missing through injury.
"But I am so happy. It is a pleasure to be part of this team.
"When you win one trophy, you should always want another. There is something within sport that keeps pushing you on.
"We have felt that a lot of times this season. We used it as extra motivation."
Geoffrey Macnab reviews The Desolation of Smaug - the meat in Peter Jackson's Hobbit sandwich
voicesJust when you thought you could find a man, get married, and have a baby by the age of 35... it turns out you’re too late, says Grace Dent
Swedish stars ask fans for £195 pledges on crowd-funding website
Latest in Sport
Tottenham to use controversial blood-spinning technique to speed Jan Vertonghen return
World Cup 2014: Football Manager developers predict the team of the tournament - but which England player makes it into the XI?
Roy Keane omits Paul Scholes, Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs from 'greatest' Manchester United team
Napoli 2 Arsenal 0 match report: Nightmare in Naples leaves Arsenal to battle giants
Transfer news: Wayne Rooney sparks Manchester United exit rumours after rejecting new contract talks - reports
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial: ‘Bogus’ sign language interpreter made mockery of Barack Obama’s tribute in Soweto
- 2 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 3 Australia: Gay marriage law reversed by high court less than a week after first weddings
- 4 Exeter to Edinburgh and back in a day: How one fresher's lost bet left him facing a 900-mile round trip
- 5 Australia incest case: Severely deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding