Europa League round-up: Sligo earn shock victory over Rosenborg while Linfield also win, but Dundalk, Derry and Crusaders all suffer defeat
The second qualifying round of the Europa League got underway on Thursday night
Friday 18 July 2014
Sligo claimed a shock victory in the Europa League second qualifying round as they claimed a 2-1 win over Rosenborg in Norway.
Captain Alan Keane and Danny North had the Irish side 2-0 up before an own-goal from goalkeeper Gary Rogers handed the 22-time Norwegian champions a lifeline for the second leg.
Dundalk did not fare so well in their first leg as they lost 2-0 at home to Hajduk Split thanks to goals from Mijo Caktas and Nikola Vlasic.
Substitute Andy Waterworth grabbed a winner three minutes from time as Linfield claimed a 1-0 home win over AIK but that was as good as it got for the Northern Irish teams.
Derry went down 1-0 at home to Shakhtyor thanks to a goal from Nikolai Yanush while strikes from Dardan Rexhepi, Mauricio Albornoz, Jacob Larsson and a penalty from Niklas Barkroth saw Crusaders lose 4-0 to Brommapojkarna in Sweden.
Latest in Sport
Jay Hart sex tape: Non-league footballer sacked after being filmed having sex with unknown blonde girl in manager's dug-out
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: What time does it start and where can I watch it?
Radamel Falcao to Liverpool: Agent of Manchester United striker 'makes contact' with Anfield
Cesc Fabregas in Premier League title dig at Arsenal after pointing out '27 year wait'
Manchester United 2015/16 kit leak: Orange and black strip likened to former Chelsea jersey emerges online
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Katie Hopkins has just written a piece so hateful that it might give Hitler pause – why was it published?
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Cancel Sky at your peril: man spends 96 minutes in chat but fails to get rid of service
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate