Eusebio likely to spend Christmas in hospital
Thursday 22 December 2011
Former Portugal and Benfica star Eusebio is likely to stay in a hospital
over Christmas after being diagnosed with double pneumonia, doctors
Jose Roquette, a clinical director at Lisbon's Hospital da Luz, said Eusebio was in stable condition despite being admitted Wednesday with an
infection in both lungs.
"He's eating well," Roquette told reporters. "He had a good night."
Doctors treating Eusebio said they are optimistic about his chances of a full recovery, though the illness requires close monitoring and he will undergo treatment for several more days.
Eusebio da Silva Ferreira, who turns 70 next month, became a national icon after his standout performances in the 1960s for Benfica and the Portuguese national team.
He was named one of the 10 best football players of all time by Fifa in 1998.
Geoffrey Macnab reviews American Hustle, also starring Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper
newsFormer soldier taped 33 of the animals to the floor and then stamped on them one by one
Michelle Nijhuis' daughter insists (s)he is, and she learnt a valuable lesson on gender in books
news Opponents claim it would stop performers such as Beyonce and Madonna appearing on TV
It takes a platoon of chefs, litres of brandy and rum, and almost 100kg of dried fruit
food + drink
Latest in Sport
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 4 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile