Gerardo Martino leaves Barcelona: Tata Tata, as Martino resigns as Barcelona after just a season in charge following trophyless campaign
Barcelona confirm that the Argentinian has left the club following the 1-1 draw with Atletico Madrid that saw the visitors clinch the La Liga title
Saturday 17 May 2014
Gerardo Martino has stepped down as Barcelona coach after they missed out on the Primera Division title in a 1-1 draw with champions Atletico Madrid.
Martino had been widely expected to leave, win or lose in Saturday evening's crunch clash at the Nou Camp, and Barca confirmed the news as his post-match press conference was beginning.
"Martino has announced that, by mutual agreement with the club, he ceases to be the coach of FC Barcelona," the club said on their Twitter account."In agreement with the club I am no longer the coach," Martino said.
"I deeply regret not having achieved the goals that this club has always been set and achieved.
"These are great players. My greatest gratitude goes to the players. They have made me proud."
Barca's sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta said: "We are grateful to 'Tata'. This has been a tough season."
On Friday, Luis Enrique announced he was stepping down as Celta Vigo coach, having been heavily linked with a return to the club where he finished his playing days and began his coaching career with Barcelona B.
Barcelona went into their final match of the season needing a win over Atletico Madrid to steal the title away from Diego Simeone's men, but despite taking the lead through Alexis Sanchez's 34th-minute wonder strike, they were pegged back by a Diego Godin header early in the second half and Atletico held on for their first title since 1996.
Atletico did so despite losing key players Diego Costa and Arda Turan in injury in the space of eight minutes early in the first half, with the club confirming that Costa has suffered a recurrence of his hamstring injury which leaves his hopes of playing in next week's Champions League final in the balance.
"It was a very hard game," Atletico's on-loan goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois told Sky Sports 1. "I think not a lot of people gave us a chance after last week's draw because Barca just had to win at home and they were really ready for this game.
"After 20 minutes we lost two important players and we went 1-0 behind, but in the second half you saw how we came back. We had to suffer but we suffered and we won.
"This is the story of Atletico Madrid. For so many years Madrid and Barca had all the money, they buy a lot of good players but we had to find another way. We had good players, not the best but we worked harder, suffered in training and had good tactics. You can achieve good things.
"The supporters of Atletico have had difficult years but now they can have some great years and hopefully next week we can give them another trophy."
Latest in Sport
Mayweather-Pacquiao: Ricky Hatton, Mike Tyson, Ronda Rousey and more make their predictions
Frank Lampard's face drops when Holly Willoughby introduces him as a 'Man City legend'
How Liverpool can catch Manchester United and still qualify for the Champions League
Kyle Walker video: Tottenham defender categorically denies 'disgusting' rumours on Facebook
Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao: What time does it start and where can I watch it?
- 1 Avengers: Age of Ultron: Nearly 700 German cinemas refuse to show movie
- 2 Donald Trump decides that Baltimore riots are Barack Obama's fault
- 3 X Factor in crisis as numbers of people auditioning plummets
- 4 General Election 2015: Stephen Hawking says he will vote Labour
- 5 Baltimore riots: Furious mother marches her son home live on TV
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Aaron and Melissa Klein: Oregon anti-gay bakers ordered to pay $135,000 after refusing to make cake for same-sex wedding
EU exit would hit UK economy much harder than neighbouring countries, study finds
Andrew Lloyd Webber: Phantom of the Opera writer mocked after issuing a warning about Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon
General election 2015: Labour will toughen hate crimes legislation surrounding Islamophobia