Iniesta optimistic of making final
Monday 11 May 2009
Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta expects to be fit for the Champions League final against Manchester United on 27 May, after having further tests on a thigh muscle injury today.
"I will be in Rome," Iniesta told reporters as he left the hospital. "It is a small tear that wasn't as bad as we thought. The enthusiasm I have to play in the final will help my recovery."
Iniesta, who scored the goal that took Barca past Chelsea in the Champions League semi-final last week, picked up the injury in the 3-3 Primera Liga draw at home to Villarreal on Sunday.
He has been ruled out of Wednesday's King's Cup final against Athletic Bilbao.
Latest in Sport
2014 World Cup draw: Roy Hodgson raises possibility of England switching base away from Rio de Janeiro
Liverpool 5 Norwich 1: Brendan Rodgers takes a swipe at Arsenal by claiming Luis Suarez is now worth '£40m and two pounds'
Transfer news: Manchester United's ambitious transfer plans at risk from possible failure to qualify for Champions League
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
Manchester City sign the 'new Lionel Messi' Brahim Abdelkader, and in doing so put one over Barcelona
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail