Jambor's last-minute strike stuns Barcelona

Click to follow

Milan Jambor scored an injury-time equaliser last night as the little Slovak club Puchov pulled off a shock by holding Barcelona to a 1-1 draw in the first leg of their Uefa Cup first round tie in Trnava.

Patrick Kluivert put Barcelona ahead in the 49th minute after pouncing on a loose ball, but the Catalans hardly looked like a side who had a record winning streak in the Champions' League last season. They were outplayed for long periods and it took a momentary lapse of concentration by the Slovaks to allow Barça even a draw.

The Catalan club conceded six corner kicks in the first 10 minutes and Miroslav Nemec could have scored from one of them, but his weak header from close range was saved on the line by the goalkeeper, Victor Valdes. Puchov continued to attack and Igor Holcik could have put the Slovaks ahead in the 13th minute after Valdes failed to clear yet another corner kick, but his shot from the edge of the area went wide.

Cheered on by a capacity crowd of 18,000 at Anton Malatinsky stadium, Puchov often pinned Barcelona back in their own half, yet it began to look as if they would not be able to counter Kluivert's strike.

But the provincial side, playing a major team in Europe for the first time, gained due reward for their sense of adventure when Jambor knocked in the equaliser from Mario Breska's pass in the dying moments.

Kaiserslautern, struggling in the Bundesliga, lost at home to the Czech club Teplice 2-1 through a 64th-minute goal by Henrich Bencik.

Teplice had opened the scoring as early as the sixth minute, Jan Rezek latching on to a pass from Pavel Horvath. The German side levelled the score with a header by the unmarked Miroslav Klose. But Bencik's header into an empty goal came after the German Under-21 goalkeeper Tim Wiese strayed in trying to intercept a long ball.

The two-time Uefa Cup winners Parma were held to a 1-1 draw away to the Ukrainian club Metalurh Donetsk. Serhiy Shyshchenko put the home side in front when he headed in a cross from his captain, Gocha Jamarulli, in the 43rd minute. The Italian side dominated after the break with the Brazilian substitute Adriano equalising in the 67th minute, heading in Alberto Gilardino's lob. Metalurh had few further chances until the last five minutes.

The Belgian club La Louvière held Benfica to a surprising 1-1 draw in Charleroi. The Belgian Cup winners took the lead in the 16th minute following an error in the Portuguese defence, the Nigerian Peter Odemwingie taking advantage.

The Benfica captain, Simão, equalized in the 53rd minute, lurking at the far post as a cross flew across the goal without anyone making contact. Benfica's Argel then had a header disallowed for offside.