Jens Lehmann not Schalke bound
Monday 27 June 2011
Schalke have finally decided not to offer Jens Lehmann a route back to the Bundesliga.
The Gelsenkirchen club openly pondered the idea of taking on the 41-year-old goalkeeper last month before going quiet on the subject.
However, coach Ralf Rangnick confirmed today that Schalke would stick with their existing crop of goalkeepers rather than taking on Lehmann, who made his name with the Royal Blues before spells with AC Milan, Borussia Dortmund, Arsenal and Stuttgart.
Rangnick told the Bild newspaper: "We will be working with Ralf Fahrmann, Mathias Schober and Lars Unnerstall in pre-season.
"Getting another goalkeeper would be unsustainable from a sporting and financial standpoint."
Lehmann came out of retirement to join Arsenal for a second time in January on a short-term deal and made one appearance, in a 3-1 victory at Blackpool.
Fahrmann will likely start the new season as number one following the sale of Germany international Manuel Neuer to Bayern Munich.
Actress sees off speculation about her appearance in an amazing way
Review: Despite an uphill climb to see Jake Bugg in action, his performance is notably flat
Powerful images of strays taken moments before being put down
Review: Witty banalities aside, the comedian has an authentic voice
The Washington Post editor helped Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein bring down President Nixon
Latest in Sport
Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies from spine injury after doing somersault celebration
Liverpool vs Real Madrid: Isco will provide just as great a threat at Anfield as the injured Gareth Bale would have
Angel Di Maria injury: Manchester United sweat over fitness of record signing as he is in danger of missing Chelsea clash
Video: Boxer Vido Loncar brutally assaults referee following defeat
Chelsea vs Maribor player ratings: Cesc Fabregas? Eden Hazard? Didier Drogba? Who was the star of the show at Stamford Bridge?
- 1 Renee Zellweger on plastic surgery claims: 'I'm living a more fulfilling life and I'm thrilled that perhaps it shows'
- 2 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 3 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 4 Banksy not arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms