Jimenez sacked by Sevilla after Champions League exit

Sevilla have sacked head coach Manolo Jimenez following a run of seven games without a win and a shock Champions League exit at the hands of CSKA Moscow.

The Sanchez Pizjuan club decided to make a change after a 1-1 home draw with lowly Xerez on Tuesday evening, which left Sevilla in fifth place in La Liga.

Jimenez, 46, took charge of the Rojiblancos first team in October 2007, having previously worked as reserve team coach at the club where he spent most of his playing career.

The club’s sporting director Ramon Monchi Rodriguez told reporters: “The decision was very painful.

“He has done everything possible and we only have words of gratitude for his work, but it is the time to rejuvenate the team.”

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola is to be investigated by the Spanish Football Federation following his angry blast at the officials during and after a La Liga game against Almeria.

The normally mild-mannered coach was sent to the stands during the 2-2 draw on March 6 before accusing the match officials of lying following their post-match explanation of his expulsion.

"The competition committee have decided to open extraordinary disciplinary proceedings against Pep Guardiola," confirmed a Barcelona statement.

"The reason is a presumed infraction of articles 66 or 89 of the disciplinary code consisting of 'marked and public acts which threaten sporting dignity and decorum'.

"The competition committee did not pay attention to the declarations presented on Monday by Barcelona.

"The magistrate, Mr Rafael Alonso Martinez, will have a month from today to propose either a stay of proceedings or the list of charges and the punishment to be imposed."

Fiorentina midfielder Juan Manuel Vargas insists talk of an summer switch to Real Madrid is 'all lies'.

The Peruvian star was reported to have agreed a 15million euros switch to the Bernabeu, but Vargas himself insists he is fully focused and committed to the Florence club.

"My future? There are many rumours. I am focused on doing well with Fiorentina," he said.

"We will see in future. Have Real Madrid contacted me? No. It's all lies, I can assure you. Nothing like this has happened."