Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.


Klose could be out for season

There are fears that Bayern Munich striker Miroslav Klose may not return to action this season after being forced to have ankle surgery.

The Germany international tore part of the tendon in his right ankle after catching his studs in the turf during Bayern's 3-0 win at Bochum on Saturday.

It had been hoped that the 30-year-old would be able to return to action by mid-April but a specialist has now told Klose his recovery is likely to take much longer.

Bayern coach Jurgen Klinsmann told the club's official website: "Hopefully he will be able to take part in training again in six weeks' time."

Meanwhile, reports suggest veteran Argentinian striker Hernan Crespo could be heading to Hertha Berlin in the summer.

The 33-year-old seems certain to be leaving Internazionale at the end of this season but has not yet found a new club.

The former Lazio, Chelsea and AC Milan star has said in the past that he would prefer to stay in Italy but is now interested in moving to the current Bundesliga leaders.

Crespo's move to the German capital would seem to rest on Hertha's ability to qualify for next season's Champions League.