Lionel Messi punches opponent as Barcelona equal La Liga record
Despite Barcelona equalling the record La Liga points tally after 10 games played, a frustrated Lionel Messi punched out at an opponent during his side's 3-1 win over Celta Vigo at the weekend.
The Argentinean, not known for courting controversy, lashed out at Jonathan Vilma after one of his attacks on goal was broken up.
The world's best player was celebrating the birth of his newborn baby by wearing customised boots with 'Thiago', the name of his son, written on them.
Perhaps it was Messi's frustration at his inability to mark the occasion by getting on the scoresheet that led to his actions, which were followed by a standoff which saw the number 10 held back by Celta players.
To compound Messi's frustrations, he appeared to pick up a knock to his knee in Saturday's victory, although the extent of the injury was played down afterwards and he should be available for Barcelona's Champions League game against Celtic on Wednesday.
The win saw Barcelona remain top of the table on 28 points, three points clear of Atletico Madrid who lost at the weekend.
Watch a video of the incident below...
Latest in Sport
- 1 Five-year-old Iris Grace is raising awareness of autism through her extraordinary paintings
- 2 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 3 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 4 Yes, the iPhone 6 is a miracle, but it's Apple's tax affairs that deserve a double take
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
Isis, we are told, is a 'clear and dangerous threat to our way of life'. I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy it
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month