Llorente takes Athletic Bilbao through to all-Spanish Europa League final
Friday 27 April 2012
A dramatic winner from Fernando Llorente with two minutes to go sent Athletic Bilbao through to the Europa League final, where they will face fellow Spanish side Atletico Madrid.
Llorente prodded home at the near post to make it 3-1 to Athletic, 4-3 on aggregate, just when it looked as though Sporting Lisbon would take the semi-final to extra-time.
Earlier, Markel Susaeta put Athletic ahead in the 17th minute but after the home side had missed several gilt-edged chances, Dutch striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel equalised in the 44th minute with a snap-shot from the edge of the penalty area. Less than a minute later Marco Bielsa's side were back in front when Llorente's sublime drag-back set up Gomez Ibai.
Leading 4-2 from the first leg, Atletico made sure of their progress to the final when Adrian scored on the hour to beat Valencia 1-0 in the Mestalla.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 2 How to turn off/stop 'seen by' on Facebook: Disable it to make your chats seem less passive aggressive
- 3 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 4 'We're not heroes, just tourists': Swedish police officers on holiday stop vicious assault on New York subway
- 5 Buckingham Palace guard who attacked passers-by in 'most most violent piece of CCTV footage' police officer had seen walks free
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove
Rupert Murdoch berated Sun journalists for not doing enough to attack Ed Miliband and stop him winning the general election