Messi orchestrates Barcelona Cup win
Saturday 27 August 2011
Cesc Fabregas scored for Barcelona last night as they beat Porto 2-0 to lift the European Super Cup.
The architect of Fabregas's goal – and the scorer of the Catalans' first – was Lionel Messi as the Portuguese side finished with just nine men. Messi intercepted an awful back pass and slotted the ball in on 39 minutes. Porto fell further behind when Fabregas fired in with two minutes left. Rolando and Guarin both saw red in the final minutes.
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Michelle Nijhuis' daughter insists (s)he is, and she learnt a valuable lesson on gender in books
newsFormer soldier taped 33 of the animals to the floor and then stamped on them one by one
Latest in Sport
Mesut Ozil reveals he really is the Superman at Arsenal, Jack Wilshere is Batman and don't make Lukas Podolski angry - it's the Arsenal Christmas Party
Transfer news: Liverpool - January transfer targets
The most underrated players in the Premier League
Luis Suarez: Liverpool striker ends exit speculation by signing 'long-term' contract
Transfer news: Chelsea - January transfer targets
- 1 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 2 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 3 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 4 Cycle death inquest: Boyfriend hugs driver of 32 tonne tipper truck that killed his girlfriend
- 5 Burglar steals video tapes of child abuse, hands them into police