Monaco see two-point penalty dropped after appeal
The Ligue 1 side had been punished for crowd disturbances
Tuesday 13 August 2013
An appeal commission has cancelled the two-point penalty handed to Ligue 1 newcomers Monaco for violent incidents by fans during last season's second-division title celebrations, the French Federation (FFF) said today.
"The superior appeal commission has decided to cancel the three-point penalty, including one suspended, handed to Monaco by the League disciplinary body after the club appealed the ruling," the FFF said in a statement.
Fireworks were set off during Monaco's last home game against Le Mans in May before fans invaded the pitch after the final whistle. In the melee, a referee was struck by a fan, according to the match official's report.
Monaco were also told to play one match behind closed doors, a sanction the FFF commission upheld.
It was not clear when this sanction would be enforced after the club brought the case to the French Sports and Olympic Committee (CNOSF), the highest national sporting authority.
They host Montpellier on Sunday in their second Ligue 1 match of the season after they beat Girondins Bordeaux 2-0 in their opener last weekend.
Big-spending Monaco, owned by Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev, are widely regarded as the main challengers to champions Paris St Germain this season.
They have splashed out around 150 million euros ($199.40 million) in transfers to sign Colombian striker Radamel Falcao, fellow countryman James Rodriguez and Portugal midfield Joao Moutinho.
Latest in Sport
My one and only game for Neil Baldwin FC
Laura Trott and Jason Kenny announce engagement
Jose Mourinho says Chelsea deserve to be setting pace going into Christmas fixtures
Manchester United vs Newcastle United preview: Alan Pardew targets rare Old Trafford win to halt Newcastle slump
Arsenal vs QPR: Leroy Fer seeks perfect present for Boxing Day
- 1 PlayStation and Xbox hacked by Lizard Squad
- 2 Christmas comes early to Hong Kong, as millions of bank notes spill out onto busy street
- 3 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 Vagina canoe artist defends herself over ‘obscenity’ charges
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Alex Salmond has 'broken his word to the Scottish people' says Scottish Lib Dem leader