Moratti says Benitez situation is a mess
Wednesday 22 December 2010
Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti has admitted the future of boss Rafael Benitez is complicated amid widespread reports the Spaniard has been sacked by the club.
Moratti briefly spoke with reporters at lunchtime today when he again denied that Benitez had been shown the exit door.
But the 50-year-old looks likely to leave the post after he issued a 'sack me or back me' ultimatum after leading them to success in the FIFA Club World Cup on Saturday.
"We are trying to understand what's going on, this situation is a bit of a mess," Moratti said.
"Everything that happened was a bit unexpected, we are considering every point of view."
After the weekend 3-0 win over African side TP Mazembe, Benitez called for Moratti to back him in the upcoming transfer market after an otherwise poor start to the season.
The five-time reigning Serie A champions sit seventh in the Serie A table while they only qualified second in their Champions League group behind competition debutants Tottenham.
Inter's season has been undermined by injury, but with a 13-point gap behind leaders and city rivals AC Milan, Benitez has come under intense fire just six months into the job.
Moratti attended a meeting at the club's offices last night, following which he claimed that Benitez was still boss and that no contact had been made with potential replacements.
Former AC Milan boss Leonardo has, however, been heavily linked with the post today, although Moratti denied any talks between the two parties had taken place.
"I haven't had a way of talking any other coach. I haven't met Leonardo," Moratti added.
Benitez is currently on holiday in Liverpool, with the Italian season now in its winter break, but has since reiterated his stance.
After the Mazembe match the Spaniard, who signed a two-year-deal at Inter after leaving Liverpool at the end of last season, said: "There are three possibilities for the club.
"One, 100% support for the coach and buy four or five players to build a stronger team with competition among the players to be able to carry on winning matches and trophies.
"Two, carry on like this without a project, without planning, and go ahead with one person to blame, for the whole season.
"The third," he added, "is to speak to my agent to reach an agreement if there is not this support. Simple."
Latest in Sport
The Premier League is about earning the right to play on the counter-attack - Danny Higginbotham
Chelsea vs Crystal Palace: Alan Pardew seems to be building something special down at the Palace
John Stones to Chelsea: Next season's bumper TV deal means clubs such as Everton can say 'no'
Kevin De Bruyne: Why do Manchester City put such a high value on a player Chelsea rejected?
Newcastle vs Arsenal: Play Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain or Theo Walcott from the start
- 1 The difference between a migrant and refugee, in one sentence
- 2 Miley Cyrus calls out hypocrisy of women’s nipples being taboo
- 3 iPhone 5c to be discontinued, no iPhone 6c to replace it
- 4 Jozef Wesołowski: Former Catholic archbishop found dead ahead of child sexual abuse trial
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Labour leadership: Jeremy Corbyn accused of 'deluding' young supporters with 'claptrap'
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
Iain Duncan Smith calls for urgent ESA overhaul as part of drive to cut down welfare costs