Welcome to the new Independent website. We hope you enjoy it and we value your feedback. Please contact us here.


Perez looks to bring back 'Galacticos' era to Real Madrid

Florentino Perez will officially join the race to be the next president of Real Madrid today.

The 62-year-old is bidding to win a second term at the helm of the Spanish giants, having previously been in charge at the Bernabeu between 2000 and 2006.

A statement from Perez’s office confirmed: “Florentino Perez will make public his intention to stand in the Real Madrid elections on Thursday."

An announcement is expected this morning.

Perez’s first period in charge of Real saw the club adopt their infamous Galacticos policy, signing the likes of Luis Figo, Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldo and David Beckham.

Perez was eventually succeeded by Fernando Martin Alvarez, having overseen two league successes and a ninth triumph in the European Cup.

Meanwhile, Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta is confident that he will have recovered from a thigh injury in time to play in the Champions League Final against Manchester United on 27 May.

Iniesta tore a thigh muscle during Barcelona's 3-3 draw with Villarreal on Sunday but insists it is only a minor injury.

He said: "It is a small tear that wasn't as bad as we thought.

"I will be in Rome. The enthusiasm I have to play in the Final will help my recovery."

Barcelona will definitely be without suspended defenders Eric Abidal and Daniel Alves for the game, which takes place in just over two weeks' time, while Rafael Marquez is also ruled out after recently having knee surgery.

Thierry Henry is also struggling to be fit for the game after twisting his knee during the 6-2 win at Real Madrid earlier this month.

Veteran defender Manuel Pablo is set to finish his career with Deportivo La Coruna after agreeing a new two-year contract with the Riazor club.

The 33-year-old Spain international has already been with Depor for just over a decade and is delighted to have extended his stay even further.

He told Marca: “It is clear that I want to stay with Deportivo, but one does not always get what they want.

“In the end, we have both had to give in a little bit and we have come to an agreement.

“I know now that I am staying here and I am happy. I have been calm because I knew that if I wasn't staying here, then I would be in another team. There was interest, but nothing concrete.

“Financially, it was very close to what I was asking for and there is an option for a third year, which is good.

“Whether or not I retire here we will see. For now, we are thinking about these three years and then we will see how I am.”