Racism row: Milan players praised for carrying on after banana thrown onto pitch
Monday 12 May 2014
Milan coach Clarence Seedorf praised his players for continuing with their Serie A match after a banana was thrown on to the pitch during their 2-1 defeat at Atalanta on Sunday.
The banana landed near Milan’s Guinean defender Kevin Constant who picked it up, showed it to the referee and gave it to team-mate Nigel de Jong, who threw it off the field.
“I can only compliment my players who continued to play and got on with their jobs,” said Seedorf. “Hopefully, they will find the culprit and do what has to be done.”
The incident follows one in Spain last month, when a banana was thrown at Barcelona’s Dani Alves during a match at Villarreal.
Latest in Sport
Diego Costa injury: Chelsea striker a doubt for Everton match due to muscle injury
Arsenal transfer news: Arsene Wenger says he will be 'actively involved' on deadline day... but may not buy a striker despite Giroud injury
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United winger to wear iconic No 7 shirt
England manager Roy Hodgson lectures Luke Shaw over fitness issues
Champions League draw: Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City learn group stage fate
- 1 Students heading off to 'charity challenge' grounded at Gatwick after travel firm goes bust
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Like Jennifer Aniston, I am no less of a woman because I am childless
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage