Real Madrid bosses hold meeting following latest league defeat

Real Madrid bosses held urgent talks Monday on the team's situation following its second straight defeat in the Spanish league, and sports director Pedja Mijatovic said problems had been identified and would be resolved.

"All the problems have been detected and we are capable of resolving them," Mijatovic said on the club's Web site following the 90-minute meeting with president Ramon Calderon and coach Fabio Capello.

Without giving details, Mijatovic said "measures would be applied."

He also expressed confidence in the Italian coach despite the disappointing results.

"We have a lot of faith in our coach," Mijatovic said. "He has been in several similar situations and has always come out with good results and achieving his targets."

On Sunday, Madrid lost at Deportivo La Coruna, which hadn't won in nine previous matches. Madrid also lost to visiting Recreativo Huelva in its last game of 2006.

"Capello, This is a Disaster" was Monday's front-page headline of leading sports daily Marca. Daily As said the Italian coach's "leadership was in a serious crisis," and noted that the team had spent about ¤100 million (US$130 million) on new players this season.

Madrid is third in the Spanish league, behind leader Sevilla and defending champion FC Barcelona.

"After the game against Deportivo, we find ourselves in a situation which no one expected to be in," Mijatovic said. "We have discussed all the problems we have, given this disagreeable situation, but it is a situation that can be resolved."