Real Madrid sign seven-year-old Argentine
Monday 08 August 2011
Real Madrid has signed a seven-year-old football prospect from Argentina, who also happens to go by the name Leo — just like his idol Lionel Messi.
Leonel Angel Coira signed with the Spanish club and will begin training on September 6, Madrid spokesman Juan Tapiador told The Associated Press today.
Last week, Coira told Argentine sports daily Ole that his idol was Messi, the Barcelona forward who is also Argentine and goes by the name Leo. Coira said he prefers "to provide the pass" rather than score.
He already has a Facebook page featuring photos of his visit to Real Madrid.
Madrid reportedly made the push to sign Coira because Spanish league rival Atletico Madrid was also pursuing the youngster.
Barcelona signed Messi from Argentine club Newell's Old Boys as a teenager and he has gone on to win the World Player of the Year award two times and has helped Barcelona win 15 trophies, including three Champions League titles and five Spanish league championships.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail