Robben is staying put, insist Bayern
Thursday 03 May 2012
The Bayern Munich chief executive officer, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, is adamant that Arjen Robben will extend his contract with the club.
The Netherlands winger reportedly cast doubt over his new deal following an alleged dressing-room bust-up with his team-mate Franck Ribéry during the Champions League semi-final against Real Madrid.
But Rummenigge told the German newspaper Bild: "I guarantee that no stars will leave. The agreement [with Robben] is as good as signed. Arjen will stay at Bayern in the long term."
The Bayern defender Jerome Boateng has insisted in the build-up to the Champions League final against Chelsea that the Bundesliga is as strong as the Premier League.
Boateng has played in both leagues, having spent last season with Manchester City before returning home to Germany with Bayern at the start of this campaign. He had previously claimed that England has the stronger league but told Bild: "That's not true any more. That statement was some time ago. The Premier League still has more money but both sports leagues are on a par."
During his time with Roberto Mancini's men, Boateng tasted victory over Chelsea but he does not feel that result will help Bayern on 19 May, nor that they can learn much from the Blues' semi-final win over Barcelona.
"There is no magic bullet," he said. "Also, I do not think Chelsea will play in the final as in the semi-final against Barcelona. They will not set up the barricade of 11 men in front of their own penalty area. I will leave it to our scouts to concoct a plan."
Both teams will be without several key players through suspension for the final, with John Terry, Ramires, Raul Meireles and Branislav Ivanovic missing for Chelsea and Holger Badstuber, David Alaba and Luiz Gustavo for the German side.
Boateng blamed harsh refereeing in Bayern's second leg against Real for the absence of his fellow defenders Alaba and Badstuber. "I feel the referee lacked sensitivity," he said. "Both yellow cards were too harsh. I am so very sorry for the two of them, I've told Holger and David that I feel for them."
Borussia Dortmund's Lucas Barrios will leave the Bundesliga champions for Guangzhou Evergrande in China after the clubs agreed on an undisclosed fee for the 27-year-old striker.
The Paraguay international has signed a four-year deal with the Chinese club after winning consecutive league titles with Dortmund, who have already clinched this season's championship ahead of Saturday's final round of matches.
Latest in Sport
Paul Scholes: Manchester United vs Liverpool - I don't understand why Brendan Rodgers was not more attacking against Basel
Jesus Christ plays for Chelsea - that's what one in five children thinks
Transfer Talk: Nemanja Vidic to return to Manchester United; Hazard to leave Chelsea; Sunderland want Radamel Falcao
Frank Warren column: Don't bet on Amir Khan landing pay day against Floyd Mayweather
Manchester United transfer news: Kevin Strootman move edges closer
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
New era of cheap oil 'will destroy green revolution'
Ukip founder Alan Sked and Nigel Farage 'begged Enoch Powell to stand as a candidate'
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant