Roberto Carlos interested in Madrid return
Wednesday 18 March 2009
Brazilian veteran Roberto Carlos would be interested in returning to Real Madrid, if Florentino Perez became president of the Spanish giants again this summer.
The 35-year-old full-back, who left the Bernabeu in 2007 after spending 11 years in the Spanish capital, is currently playing for Fenerbahce.
Perez - who was in charge of Real from 2000 to 2007 - is hoping to regain the presidency in the club's summer elections.
"If Florentino comes and says 'Roberto, come back', I will have to think about it and talk about it," the defender told Spanish radio station Cadena Cope. "I have never said I won't come back.
"I renewed my deal at Fenerbahce, I have another year on my contract, but a lot of things can happen.
"People know I have a really great admiration and respect for Florentino.
"Fenerbahce have given me the opportunity to be here 10, 15 years but I was at Real Madrid for 11 years and they will always be my team for life."
Meanwile, Getafe president Angel Torres would welcome former coach Bernd Schuster back to the club with open arms.
The German left Getafe in 2007 after a successful spell with the club to take over the managerial reins at Real Madrid.
However, he is currently without a club after being sacked by the Spanish giants earlier this season.
Torres said of rumours linking Schuster with a return to Getafe: "He is young and he has a great appreciation for the club.
"If we continue in La Primera then he could return. Schuster is a romantic, he does not go for money, as he showed with Real Madrid.
"I think that he can return at any time to coach Getafe. He has great support here because he enjoyed the two years that he was with us. Besides, he has seen the pressure that there is with the big teams like Real Madrid."
Finally, Barcelona president Joan Laporta has reiterated his desire to keep Cameroon international Samuel Eto'o at the Camp Nou.
Eto'o, who was linked with a move away from the club last summer, has just over a year left on his current deal, but was recently reported to be heading to Internazionale at the end of this season.
However, Laporta told Catalan radio station RAC1: "Samuel Eto'o is the best striker in the world. I need to find a solution and will put excellent conditions to him for him to stay in Barcelona.
"He is the top striker in the world and nobody gets close to him."
Latest in Sport
Didier Drogba went absolutely mental in the Chelsea dressing room after Blues were given the Premier League trophy
Jack Wilshere's final-day strike wins Match of the Day's Goal of the Season award after Arsenal fans hijack vote
Liverpool's 2005 Champions League-winning side: From Jerzy Dudek to Vladimir Smicer - where are they now?
Jurgen Klopp favourite to replace Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool if he's sacked
Premier League 2015/16 kits: Confirmed and rumoured strips from Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and others
- 1 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 2 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 3 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland