Roberto Mancini exits Galatasaray: Former Manchester City manager leaves post
Speculation has been mounting over a possible return to Italy
Wednesday 11 June 2014
Roberto Mancini has left his post as Galatasaray manager, the Turkish club have confirmed.
The Italian took over at the Istanbul outfit in September and, despite claiming the Turkish Cup in his first season in charge, has now seen his reign ended by mutual consent after just nine months.
"Our relationship with coach Roberto Mancini and his contract of employment, which was signed on October 1, 2013, has been terminated by mutual agreement," read a statement on Galatasaray's official website.
"We wholeheartedly thank (Mancini) for his success and achievements and wish him happiness in his next mission."
Mancini took over at the Turk Telekom Arena after Fatih Terim was sacked after rejecting a contract extension and guided the club to second in the league as well success in the cup.
The 49-year-old also took his team into the last-16 of the Champions League, something he could not achieve during his time at Manchester City, although there were constant rumours over his future in Turkey.
Just two days ago, however, Mancini had affirmed that he would be staying in Istanbul next season despite the fact he missed Italy.
"I miss Italy, not just the family but the football," Mancini told Gazzetta dello Sport. "But I want to make it clear that I will remain at Galatasaray.
"I am under contract for a further two years and I've done well so far.
"Besides, we will play in the Champions League next season."
Mancini began his coaching career in Italy, winning the Coppa Italia with Fiorentina and Lazio before a move to Inter Milan brought three Scudettos and two further Coppas.
He moved to City in 2009 and won an FA Cup and a Premier League title before leaving the club last summer.
Latest in Sport
England vs New Zealand second Test match report: England’s bold boast turns into hot air and humiliation
Fifa corruption: Sepp Blatter's right-hand man Jerome Valcke 'sent' $10m payment to Jack Warner in letter from the South African FA
England 'favourites' to host 2018 World Cup after Sepp Blatter resignation - Qatar and Russia under pressure
Michael Schumacher: Bernie Ecclestone reveals why he can't visit former F1 champion because he 'doesn't want to see him like that'
Brendan Rodgers' job safe for now but Liverpool owners plan for improvement
- 1 California man brutally beat 82-year-old Sikh grandfather he mistook for 'one of those people'
- 3 Charles Kennedy 'had better judgement drunk than many sober politicians' says Ian Hislop
- 5 We have six months to save the world, says leading economist
Thousands of teenage girls enduring debilitating illnesses after routine school cancer vaccination
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Michael Gove determined to scrap the Human Rights Act – even if Scotland retains it
Threat to scrap Human Rights Act could see UK follow Nazi example, warns UN official
Church of England 'one generation away from extinction' after dramatic loss of followers