Ronaldo named European Club Footballer of Year
Thursday 28 August 2008
Manchester United forward Cristiano Ronaldo was named Uefa's European Club Footballer of the Year today after scoring 42 goals last season including eight in the Champions League.
The award was made during the draw for this year's group phase at the Grimaldi Forum in Monaco.
Ronaldo was also named as the forward of the year for helping United win the European Cup for the third time.
Three Chelsea players who were in the side beaten by United in the Moscow final in May, won awards. John Terry was named as defender of the year, Petr Cech goalkeeper of the year and Frank Lampard midfielder of the year.
Look beyond the usual shows for the best festive telly
Geoffrey Macnab does not like the comedian's big screen debut
The battle for control of Stieg Larsson's £30m legacy
Latest in Sport
Tim Sherwood challenges Daniel Levy to set out vision for Tottenham Hotspur’s future
The worst owner in football? Vincent Tan faces fan backlash as Malky Mackay clings to Cardiff job
Bonuses for goals and top four finish as Luiz Suarez joins Premier League's top three earners
Luis Suarez: Liverpool striker ends exit speculation by signing 'long-term' contract
Transfer news: Tottenham Hotspur - January transfer targets
- 1 Tim Sherwood challenges Daniel Levy to set out vision for Tottenham Hotspur’s future
- 2 French pub fined €9,000 after customers returned empties to bar - because it's 'undeclared labour'
- 3 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 4 #Teamnigella: It’s the only side to be on
- 5 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'