Rooney likely to be excused from Moscow game
Sir Alex Ferguson will announce later whether new father Wayne Rooney is excused from Manchester United's Champions League game with CSKA Moscow tomorrow.
Rooney's wife Coleen today gave birth to a baby boy - named Kai Wayne Rooney - at 2.20pm at Liverpool Women's Hospital.
Their spokesman said: "Mother and baby are both absolutely fine. Wayne and Coleen are thrilled with the wonderful addition to their family life."
Strike partner Dimitar Berbatov is also doubtful after taking a blow on the kneecap against Blackburn on Saturday, while Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand (both knee) and Ryan Giggs (hip) have already been ruled out.
Park Ji-sung will not be considered either, with Ferguson confirming the South Korean has been put on a two-week fitness programme after suffering a series of minor ailments.
The good news for Ferguson is that skipper Gary Neville is back from suspension and Scotland star Darren Fletcher will start after a month out with an ankle injury.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 3 Van driver who comforted Clark Carlisle and called 999 after suicide attempt dies age 24
- 4 James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
- 5 The biggest first date turnoff has been revealed
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts