Rubin Kazan v Chelsea: Ashley Cole back-up Ryan Bertrand to miss Europa League tie
Defender has a virus
Wednesday 10 April 2013
Chelsea's second choice left-back Ryan Bertrand, who has deputised for the injured Ashley Cole in recent games, has a virus and will miss the Europa League quarter-final second leg against Rubin Kazan on Thursday.
The European champions travel to Moscow to take on Rubin, hoping their 3-1 first leg advantage will be enough to take them into the semi-finals as they continue their push for trophies this season.
Netherlands youth international Nathan Ake, 18, is set to make his second start for the Londoners in the left-back position, having made his first-team debut in the league against Norwich City in December.
Bertrand was excellent in the first leg, having replaced Cole when the England international limped off injured after 21 minutes of the FA Cup quarter-final replay 1-0 win over Manchester United on April 1.
The holders face Manchester City in an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley on Sunday after their Europa League trip to Russia.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward