Solitary Udinese fan becomes a national hero - after being only supporter to watch his club play away game
Thursday 13 December 2012
A Udinese fan has become the center of Italian media attention as the only away supporter to witness his team's 2-0 victory at Sampdoria in Serie A.
Arrigo Brovedani says he didn't expect to find many other fans in the 4,134-seater away sector on a cold December night, but was stunned to discover he was completely alone.
Brovedani was even jokingly invited to warm up by Udinese captain Antonio Di Natale following his lone cries of "Come on Udinese!"
He was given coffee by stadium stewards and a Sampdoria shirt by the home club directors. The home fans also invited him to drink with them after the game.
Udinese dedicated the win to Brovedani and has invited him to the match against Palermo on Saturday.
Latest in Sport
The guard has changed at Old Trafford for the first time in 26 years. Meanwhile, down the road, the ...
by The Sports Lawyer
21 May 2013 10:01 PM
With the top nine players in the men’s world tennis rankings all missing this tournament to prepare ...
by Gareth Purnell
21 May 2013 02:01 AM
When cyclists look back on their careers spanning many hundreds (and in some cases possibly thousand...
by Martin Ayres
20 May 2013 06:12 PM
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.