Steve McClaren in talks with Twente over return
Wednesday 04 January 2012
Steve McClaren's Dutch agent Rob Jansen has revealed the former England manager is in official talks over a return to FC Twente.
McClaren immediately emerged as the favourite to succeed Co Adriaanse, who was sacked yesterday by the Enschede club.
And Jansen told De Telegraaf today: "FC Twente and I are talking fast. We will see what comes of it."
McClaren led Twente to their first ever Eredivisie title in his second season before leaving to take charge of Bundesliga side Wolfsburg in May 2010.
The 50-year-old was sacked less than a year later and his most recent post was at Nottingham Forest, who appointed him as manager last June on a three-year deal.
However, McClaren resigned from his post in October with Forest just one point and one place above the npower Championship relegation zone.
Twente chairman Joop Munsterman said yesterday, in comments reported by Voetbal International, that McClaren and former Feyenoord and Hungary coach Erwin Koeman feature on a three-man shortlist to succeed Adriaanse.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Michelle Watt's father says TV presenter killed herself because she was in constant pain
- 2 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 North Korean defector flees to Finland 'with evidence of chemical testing on humans'
- 5 Greek debt crisis: The photograph that conveys the despair of Greece's elderly
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture