Toni Kroos and Mario Gotze ease Bayern Munich to earliest Bundesliga title triumph
Pep Guardiola seems to have improved the treble winners since taking charge
Wednesday 26 March 2014
Bayern Munich have wrapped up their 24th Bundesliga title in record time with an away win at Hertha Berlin.
Toni Kroos and Mario Götze netted inside the first 15 minutes to put Pep Guardiola's men, who face Manchester United in the Champions League quarter-finals next week, on their way.
Although Adrian Ramos pulled a goal back from the penalty spot midway through the second half, Franck Ribéry's 79th minute goal wrapped up the win in style and gave them the title with seven games to spare. That is one game more than last year's triumph and is the earliest that the Bundesliga has been wrapped up in its 51 years.
Victory at the Olympic Stadium was also Bayern's 19th consecutive league win, their 10th straight victory away from home, and stretched their unbeaten league run to 52 games.
Bayern would have been celebrating even had they lost, as the game between local rivals Borussia Dortmund and Schalke ended goalless. Pride and second spot was up for grabs in the 144th Revierderby, but neither team could make a breakthrough.
In-form Wolfsburg enhanced their own top-four hopes with a 3-1 win at Werder Bremen. Junior Malanda and Ivan Perisic scored in the first 10 minutes to give the visitors control. Sebastien Prodl pulled a goal, but Maximilian Arnold made the points safe for Wolfsburg.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 Greggs Google fail: bakery falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
- 3 Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict