Torres to miss Liverpool Champions League tie
Fernando Torres has been ruled out of Liverpool's Champions League clash with Lyon at Anfield tomorrow.
But skipper Steven Gerrard is back to lead the side in a match the Reds dare not lose if they are to retain a realistic chances of reaching the last 16.
Torres missed Saturday's defeat at Sunderland with a groin injury, and did not train today at Liverpool's Melwood complex.
Gerrard, who also missed the 1-0 defeat at the Stadium of Light, did train and will take his place against the French side.
Boss Rafael Benitez said: "Gerrard is now fine, he has trained normally today and will play against Lyon.
"But Fernando is not close enough to fitness to be considered. He will miss this one but I hope he will be OK to play against Manchester United next weekend."
Liverpool also have other injury problems for the match, which Benitez declined to reveal.
But he does expect midfielder Javier Mascherano to start the match, having played only as a late substitute at Sunderland.
Mascherano had arrived back late from Argentina's midweek international, and was not considered ready to play the full match.
His international team-mate Emiliano Insua, who won his first cap in the match against Uruguay, was an unused substitute in the north east, but should return to the starting line-up against the French league leaders.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers