Torres to miss Liverpool Champions League tie
Fernando Torres has been ruled out of Liverpool's Champions League clash with Lyon at Anfield tomorrow.
But skipper Steven Gerrard is back to lead the side in a match the Reds dare not lose if they are to retain a realistic chances of reaching the last 16.
Torres missed Saturday's defeat at Sunderland with a groin injury, and did not train today at Liverpool's Melwood complex.
Gerrard, who also missed the 1-0 defeat at the Stadium of Light, did train and will take his place against the French side.
Boss Rafael Benitez said: "Gerrard is now fine, he has trained normally today and will play against Lyon.
"But Fernando is not close enough to fitness to be considered. He will miss this one but I hope he will be OK to play against Manchester United next weekend."
Liverpool also have other injury problems for the match, which Benitez declined to reveal.
But he does expect midfielder Javier Mascherano to start the match, having played only as a late substitute at Sunderland.
Mascherano had arrived back late from Argentina's midweek international, and was not considered ready to play the full match.
His international team-mate Emiliano Insua, who won his first cap in the match against Uruguay, was an unused substitute in the north east, but should return to the starting line-up against the French league leaders.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
Leaked documents show Ukip leaders approve NHS privatisation once it becomes more 'acceptable to the electorate'