Totti came close to quitting football
Wednesday 21 July 2010
Roma legend Francesco Totti has admitted he came close to quitting the game after he was dismissed in the Coppa Italia final at the end of last season.
The veteran saw red after lashing out at Internazionale youngster Mario Balotelli and picked up a four-game ban for his act of ill-discipline.
Despite being on the verge of hanging up his boots, the 33-year-old was talked out of a premature end to his glittering career.
He admitted: "There was a time when I thought about quitting. I thought about it because of what happened, on and off the pitch. Then I talked to people close to me who made me think about it.
"But when there's passion it's right to continue. Every time something happens concerning me it's worth ten times as much. I have asked myself so many times, why? And I've answered that it happens because at the end of the day I'm good.
"Maybe people don't like me because I'm from Rome. Were the club close to me? Yes."
Latest in Sport
World Cup 2014 draw: Daunting draw but England have nothing to lose against Uruguay, Italy and Costa Rica
World Cup 2014 draw: Greg Dyke makes 'cut throat' gesture after England are drawn in 'Group of Death'
Ashes 2013-14: Mitchell Johnson is proving England are spent force
Ashes 2013-14: England's batsmen have got 'no bottle' says Geoffrey Boycott
World Cup draw 2014: England drawn with holders Spain in official Group Stage rehearsal
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail