Valdes dedicates victory to Abidal
Monday 19 March 2012
Victor Valdes dedicated Barcelona's 2-0 La Liga victory over Seville on Saturday to Eric Abidal, who is to undergo a liver transplant.
"This victory is for Abidal," said the goalkeeper, after Xavi Hernandez and Lionel Messi had scored to ensure Barça triumphed. "These are difficult times that we must overcome. However, with the strength and confidence that Abidal has, I'm sure that he'll come out of this one." Abidal had surgery to remove a tumour on his liver last March.
When asked about the title race, Valdes conceded that it is leaders Real Madrid's to lose. "It's very complicated [to win La Liga]," said Valdes. "They have a big advantage. But our obligation is to go out and try to win all of our matches and wait for Real Madrid to falter."
Latest in Sport
- 1 Home Office says Nigerian asylum-seeker can’t be a lesbian as she’s got children
- 2 What happens to your body when you give up sugar?
- 3 Drugs Live cannabis trial: Hash is less harmful than any other drug, expert claims
- 4 Turkish Airlines flight TK 726 crash-lands on Nepal runway amid dense fog
- 5 Apple and Google users being spied on for a decade because of 'Freak' security flaw
Durham Free School: 'Creationism taught at' free school facing closure
Nearly 100,000 of Britain's poorest children go hungry after parents' benefits are cut
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
End of the licence fee: BBC to back radical overhaul of how it is funded
Ukraine crisis: Top Chinese diplomat backs Putin and says West should 'abandon zero-sum mentality'
Boris Nemtsov shot dead: Outspoken Putin critic who had expressed fears for his life is killed near the Kremlin