Victor Valdes stuns Barcelona after telling them he wants to quit
Goalkeeper's decision will alert Premier League sides
Thursday 17 January 2013
Victor Valdes has confirmed he plans to leave Barcelona, alerting potential suitors in England.
The goalkeeper’s representatives tonight informed the club that the player had made up his mind not to extend his current deal, which runs out in 2014. Barcelona directors were stunned the 30-year-old, who has been in the first team for a decade, did not even want to hear the club’s offer.
Valdes said several weeks ago he wanted to experience playing football in other countries before he retired.
Latest in Sport
Wow - what a weekend for British Motorcycle racing!
by Luke Wilkins
22 May 2013 05:00 AM
The dust is barely settling on the Premier League season and the bookies are looking to persuade us ...
by Gareth Purnell
22 May 2013 02:01 AM
The guard has changed at Old Trafford for the first time in 26 years. Meanwhile, down the road, the ...
by The Sports Lawyer
21 May 2013 10:01 PM
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 4 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 5 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.