VIDEO: Miss of the season? Former Arsenal outcast Gervinho and his shocker for Roma
Ivorian winger hit the post from close range with the goal unguarded
Monday 23 December 2013
He may be impressing all and sundry in Italy with his rampaging runs down the wing for Roma, but here is a glimpse of the Gervinho we all remember from his painful two years at Arsenal.
During Roma's 4-0 home victory of Catania on Sunday, with the goal at his mercy from just over six yards after goalkeeper Alberto Frison parried the ball into his path, the Ivorian could only hit the post, leaving those at the Stadio Olimpico in a state of shock.
But Gervinho, who joined Roma for £11m in the summer and has been one of the standout performers this season in Serie A, did not let the miss get him down too much. He dusted himself off and scored Roma's final goal in the rout.
In 63 appearances (44 starts) for Arsenal between 2011 and 2013, the 26-year-old scored just 11 goals.
Gervinho later scored for Roma against Catania on Sunday
Latest in Sport
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'