Vukcevic 'improving' after car accident
Saturday 13 October 2012
Hoffenheim midfielder Boris Vukcevic's life is no longer in danger from head injuries sustained in a car accident, although it is still too early for a long-term prognosis.
The Bundesliga club say the 22-year-old player remains in an induced coma but that his condition has "further stabilised".
Vukcevic is a diabetic and police say he had a sudden drop in blood sugar level when he lost control of his car and crashed head-on with a truck on 28 September on the road between Heidelberg and Hoffenheim.
A Croatian-born German, Vukcevic has made 78 Bundesliga appearances for Hoffenheim, and six for Germany's Under-21 team.
Juventus assistant coach Angelo Alessio has had his match-fixing ban reduced from six to two months. Following the decision by Italy's sports arbitration court, Alessio can return next week for the highly awaited match against Serie A co-leaders Napoli.
Alessio was originally banned for eight months, then the sentence was reduced to six months on appeal. Last week, Juventus head coach Antonio Conte had his ban reduced from 10 to four months. The bans stem from wrongdoing when the pair were at Siena two years ago. Another assistant, Massimo Carrera, has been filling in for Conte.
Bologna defender Daniele Portanova's six-month ban for failing to report match-fixing was also cut yesterday, to four months by the Italian sporting tribunal.
The centre-back will now be able to play again from 8 December but will not be happy with his sentence after saying on Thursday that he wanted to be acquitted of all charges. "I want them to tell me that I can start playing again immediately, that they recognise my innocence, because what I'm experiencing, it's not right," he said.
Portanova was initially banned for six months in August for failing to report match-fixing at a game in 2011 when already-relegated Bari beat Bologna 4-0.
Portanova's lawyer Gabriele Bordoni said the reduction was worthless.
"At this point the tribunal may as well leave the ban at six months as at least then we could fight again," he said.
"With less than two months to go till the end of the ban there is no time to appeal again as any type of appeal would need a month.
"I'm speechless, it makes you think about moving away from this country."
Latest in Sport
Radamel Falcao exclusive: Forward says joining Manchester United is a 'dream come true'
Transfer deadline day: The best memes and tweets, featuring Radamel Falcao, Javier Hernandez and Bart Simpson
Arsenal transfer news: Ray Parlour urges Arsene Wenger to make late move for Edinson Cavani
WWE Raw preview: Will John Cena continue to defy the threat of Brock Lesnar?
Danny Welbeck to Arsenal: Arsene Wenger pictured in Rome as club close in on Manchester United striker for £17m
- 1 Al Pacino on suffering from depression: 'It can last and it's terrifying'
- 2 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 3 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain