We are Stoke and we don't complain, says Pulis over fans' missiles
Friday 16 December 2011
Stoke City manager Tony Pulis will not make a complaint to Uefa even though two of his players were targeted by missile-throwing Besiktas fans during Wednesday's Europa League match in Istanbul.
"We won't be complaining. We're Stoke and we don't complain," Pulis told reporters after the match ended in a 3-1 win for the home side.
A cigarette lighter was thrown at Ricardo Fuller after he opened the scoring for the visitors at the Inonu Stadium while Jermaine Pennant was initially unable to take a corner during the second half because of the objects raining down on him.
Several Besiktas players appealed for calm from their fans and Polish referee Marcin Borski stopped play and spoke to the home bench before the situation eased.
Besiktas could still be in trouble with Uefa if the referee details the incidents in his match report.
Pennant said: "I was about to take a corner and was getting pelted with lighters and euro coins. I was thinking of picking one up and putting it in my sock. I didn't want to take [the corner] because every second I could see things flying past me. Until that stopped I didn't feel comfortable taking the corner and then obviously the referee called me away."
Stoke had already qualified for the last 32 before the match, but Besiktas made sure of their place with victory and top place in Group E.
Fuller put Stoke ahead with an early goal but the turning point came after an hour when Stoke's central defender Matthew Upson conceded a penalty and was sent off for bringing down Hugo Almeida. Manuel Fernandes made it 1-1 with the penalty before Mustafa Pektemek headed Besiktas ahead after 74 minutes and Edu scored with a brilliantly-struck curler eight minutes from the end.
Meanwhile, Wigan defender Antolín Alcaraz has been cleared of serious injury but remains a doubt for this weekend's Barclays Premier League clash against Chelsea.
The Paraguay international was forced off during last weekend's win at West Bromwich Albion with a rib injury. The 29-year-old has not broken a bone, as manager Roberto Martinez feared, but he faces a fitness test ahead of Chelsea's Saturday evening visit to the DW Stadium.
Martinez said: "We had the X-ray back and it is not a fractured rib, which was our first concern. But it is too early to call if he will be fit for Saturday – the swelling is still there. Apart from that, everyone is fit."
Latest in Sport
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Best memes as Twitter reacts to imminent £16m transfer
Sami Khedira to Arsenal? Arsene Wenger reveals Gunners are still in the market for defensive midfielder
Mario Balotelli to Liverpool: Risky business to think Balotelli can replace Suarez
Paul Scholes: Manchester United need five experienced players who can turn round a desperate situation
AEL Limassol vs Tottenham match report: Erik Lamela shrugs off last season’s woes to set up Spurs fightback
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'does not see a problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 3 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 4 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians