Capital One Cup: Aston Villa v Rotherham match preview
A look ahead to tonight’s Capital One Cup fixture at Villa Park
Wednesday 28 August 2013
Aston Villa will be looking forward to taking a slight break from their extremely tough start to The Premier League season. Villa have faced Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea in their opening three games taking three points in an away win against Arsenal on the opening day. Villa have reached the quarter-finals and semi-finals in the past three years and will be hoping to go one better with a trip to Wembley this season.
Rotherham were promoted in 2013 but know they face a tough trip to Birmingham against an ever improving side under Paul Lambert. Should he play, Christian Benteke has been in fine form of late, scoring three goals in three matches so far this season.
Rotherham have experienced a good start to life in League One. So far they are unbeaten in the league with one draw and three wins.
KICK-OFF: Saturday, 3pm
PAST THREE MEETINGS…
Rotheram 0-2 Aston Villa; Old Third Division 1972
Aston Villa 1-2 Rotheram; Old Third Division 1971
Aston Villa 1-0 Rotheram; Old Third Division 1971
Aston Villa reached the quarter-finals in the 2011 season and the semi-finals in 2013.
Aston Villa to win: 1.34
Rotheram to win: 5.7
TV: Highlights on The League Cup Show on BBC One at 11.35pm
Latest in Sport
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools