Carling Cup round-up: Baggies, Bolton and Hull dumped out of Cup

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Premier League sides Bolton, West Brom and Hull were bundled out of the Carling Cup last night by lower-division opposition. Bolton were upset 2-1 by Northampton, while West Brom lost 3-1 at Hartlepool, and Swansea City rallied to oust Hull 2-1 after extra time.

Hull manager Phil Brown later described his side's performance as "dishevelled". But Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Wigan and Stoke advanced into the third round as the top-flight clubs which did not qualify for Europe this season made their entrance into the competition.

Bolton's hopes were ended by two goals in six minutes from Northampton striker Adebayo Akinfenwa. Bolton's Gavin McCann was penalised for a handball and Akinfenwa sent Jussi Jaaskelainen the wrong way on the penalty to put the League One side ahead. Sporting a bandage to protect a head wound, Akinfenwa headed a second in the 26th when he connected with Abdul Osman's cross.

The 2004 finalist's misery – against a team 45 places below them – was compounded when stand-in captain Gary Cahill was sent off for a challenge on Giles Coke in the 38th. Kevin Nolan gave Bolton hope with eight minutes remaining when he turned Kevin Davies's header over the line.

West Brom, who have lost both their matches since returning to the Premier League, saw the start of their season continue to decline at Hartlepool. Australian striker Joel Porter put the League One side ahead in the 61st, but Robert Koren forced extra time when he curled in the equaliser with three minutes remaining.

West Brom's Luke Moore hit the bar three times before David Foley and Richie Barker came off the bench to score for Hartlepool before the first period had finished and secure a 3-1 win.

Hull have enjoyed an unbeaten start in the Premier League, but were dumped out by Championship side Swansea. "The team were far too disorganised and dishevelled," the Hull manager complained.

Newcastle defeated Coventry 3-2 but only after extra time, and relied on Michael Owen to be their match-winning substitute for the second straight match. "One chance, one goal. He is really struggling isn't he," the Newcastle manager, Kevin Keegan, said.