FA Cup round-up: Birchall double as Dover silence Shots on the coast

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Adam Birchall scored twice as Dover Athletic of the Conference South achieved the giantkilling of the round, beating League Two Aldershot 2-0 at the Crabble to put Martin Hayes's side in the draw for the third round with its potential for a budget boosting tie against a Premier League club.

After a goalless first half, Birchall struck in the 54th and, from a penalty, 90th minutes to take his FA Cup haul this season to 11 in six matches as Dover claimed their second League scalp, having beaten Gillingham in the previous round.

Elsewhere, FC United of Manchester, a Northern Premier side, and Luton Town of the Conference earned home replays against League teams. United goalkeeper Sam Ashton saved a penalty in the sixth minute of added time as his side, reduced to 10 men in the 70th minute when Scott McManus was sent off for elbowing, held Brighton, top of League One, to a 1-1 draw at the Withdean. Nicky Platt gave United a first-half lead, a much changed Brighton side needing a late Mauricio Taricco goal to salvage a replay at Gigg Lane.

Andy Drury scored both Hatters goals as Luton Town, third in the Conference, drew 2-2 at Charlton Athletic, second in League One, setting up the replay at Kenilworth Road.

Stevenage halted AFC Wimbledon's Cup run with a 2-0 win at Kingsmeadow, and Swindon Supermarine's interest in the competition ended valiantly at Colchester United, where David Mooney's goal beat the Zamaretto Southern League side 1-0. One all-Conference tie guaranteed non-league representation in the next round, Djoumin Sangare and Ashley Chambers on target as York City won 2-0 at Darlington.

Chelmsford City of the Conference South lost 3-1 at Wycombe, and Tamworth set aside concerns about their position near the foot of the Conference table to give a gritty display at Carlisle United. They led 1-0 and 2-1 at Brunton Park through Tom Marshall and Danny Thomas but eventually succumbed 3-2.

Elsewhere, League One sides asserted their superiority. At Gigg Lane, Bury, third in League Two, lost 2-1 to Peterborough United, Lee Tomlin and Craig Mackail-Smith scoring for Posh, while Huddersfield Town gave Macclesfield no quarter in a 6-0 drubbing and Southampton beat Cheltenham Town 3-0. Tommy Miller scored twice as Sheffield Wednesday, who confirmed their acquisition by former Portsmouth and current Leicester owner Milan Mandaric, beat League Two strugglers Northampton Town 3-2.

Billy McKay's 41st-minute penalty saw Torquay United, sixth in League Two, beat Walsall, bottom of League One, 1-0 at Plainmoor.

In two all-League Two ties, Burton Albion upset the form book by beating second-placed Chesterfield 3-1, while bottom club Hereford United drew 2-2 with Lincoln City.