FA Cup round-up: Fulham's Hugo Rodallega seals shoot-out to deny Wolves

Striker delivers win for west Londoners in replay, while Bristol City and Chesterfield also progress

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Wolves honoured former club owner Sir Jack Hayward, who died today aged 91 with a minute’s silence at a snowy Molineux before a cracking FA Cup third-round replay went to Fulham, who won 5-3 in a shoot-out after the tie stood at 3-3 after extra time, Hugo Rodallega scoring the clinching penalty.

Hayward, the multimillionaire philanthropist, was born close to Molineux, bought the club in 1990 and funded the redevelopment of the ground into a 28,000-capacity, all-seater stadium. His dream of returning Wolves to the top flight met with several disappointments until they finally won promotion under Dave Jones through the play-off in 2003.

Their stay in the Premier League only lasted one season and Hayward sold Wolves to current owner Steve Morgan in 2007 for £10, on the condition he invest £30m in the club. Today, Morgan said: “Wolves are a family and we’re united in mourning at the loss of one of the club’s, and the city’s, most cherished sons.”

Fulham took the lead when 20-year-old striker Cauley Woodrow did well to head home left-back Kostas Stafylidis’s cross in the 27th minute. Dave Edwards drew Wolves level when he slid in Dominic Iorfa’s cross in the 71st minute and two minutes later the home side were ahead thanks to Rajiv van La Parra’s clever chip. However, Fulham soon hit back when Woodrow  capitalised from close range after Wolves keeper Carl Ikeme’s error.

That took the game to extra time, but Edwards stepped up with his second goal with 10 minutes, only for Ross McCormack to take the match to a shoot-out by scoring from the penalty spot in the last minute. Fulham go to Sunderland in the next round.

Two goals from Jay Emmanuel-Thomas sealed League One promotion challengers Bristol City a fourth-round tie at home to West Ham as they beat Doncaster 2-0 at Ashton Gate. The former Arsenal trainee scrambled the ball home at a corner in the 36th minute, then ran half the length of the pitch to wrap up victory with 11 minutes to go.

Chesterfield booked a trip to Derbyshire rivals Derby with a 2-0 win over Scunthorpe after extra time.