FA Cup round-up: Saints stride on and Orient cage Canaries

Click to follow
The Independent Football

League One and Two sides punched well above their weight in the great leveller, the FA Cup third round, with Southampton, Leyton Orient, Brighton and Sheffield Wednesday giving powerful notice of League One's strength by removing Championship or Premierhship sides, while League Two Torquay beat League One Carlisle United and Cardiff City, second in the Championship, earned a replay against Stoke City of the Premiership.

After Southampton, third in League One, made eight changes to Premiership Blackpool's nine, Saints won the south coast battle of the reserves 2-0 with goals from Lee Barnard and Guly.

Orient, 19th in League One, travelled to Norwich City, who are third in the Championship, where Jimmy Smith, once on loan with the Canaries, headed the only goal of the game at Carrow Road from a Dean Cox corner. Norwich dominated possession but rarely tested Jamie Jones in the visitors' goal.

League One leaders Brighton beat Portsmouth 3-1 in an ill-tempered match that saw Pompey's Dave Kitson sent off after 14 minutes before Chris Woods, Ashley Barnes, with a penalty, and Francisco Sandaza scored for the Seagulls. Goals by Gary Teale, Neil Mellor and Clinton Morrison saw Wednesday, sixth in League One, win 3-0 at Bristol City, unbeaten in the eight previous games at Ashton Gate.

"The second-half performance was tremendous," manager Alan Irvine said after Wednesday reached the fourth round for the first time in 10 years. "I'm not bothered who we get in the next round, but it would be nice to be drawn at home."

Michael Chopra's eighth-minute goal, tucking away the rebound after his header hit a post, put Cardiff ahead at Stoke, but Tuncay Sanli equalised on the stroke of half-time. It stayed 1-1.

The long trip south to Torquay was not the best preparation for Carlisle, who lost 1-0 to Eunan O'Kane'ssixth-minute strike.

Elsewhere, results went with status. Seventh in the Premiership, Bolton's substitutes Kevin Davies and Johan Elmander earned thema late 2-0 win over York City of the Conference. Championship leaders Queens Park Rangers lost 1-0 at Blackburn Rovers, while Mohamed Diamé scored twice as Wigan Athletic won 3-2 at Hull City. Matt Derbyshire scored twice as Birmingham City won 4-1 at Millwall, Diomansy Kamara claimed a hat-trick as Fulham thumped Peterborough 6-2 at Craven Cottage, and Everton won 5-1 win at Scunthorpe United.

Dover Athletic of the Conference South lost 2-0 at League One Huddersfield Town, Marvin Sordell scored twice as Watford hit back to beat League One Hartlepool 4-1 at home and Colchester United lost 3-0 at Swansea City. Jim Gannon's first match as Port Vale manager saw the League Two side lose 4-2 at Championship Burnley.

Two all-Championship ties went with League form as Coventry City beat visitors Crystal Palace 2-1 and Phil Brown's first match as Preston North End manager ended in a 2-1 home defeat by Nottingham Forest.

Seven goals were shared in the second-round replay as Lincoln City, 22nd in Two, lost 4-3 at home to one of only two teams below them, Hereford.