FA Cup round-up: Tolley on target as Red Dragons' fire proves too much for Bees


Click to follow
The Independent Football

Blue Square Conference leaders Wrexham led the giantkilling in yesterday's FA Cup Second Round, Jamie Tolley's goal just after the half-hour enough to beat League One Brentford 1-0 at Griffin Park and earn the Red Dragons a place in this afternoon's Third Round draw, with its tantalising potential for a tie at Old Trafford, Anfield or the Emirates.

A fine performance at Melbourne Park saw Chelmsford City, fifth in the Conference South, hold League Two's Macclesfield to a 1-1 draw. Max Cornhill gave the hosts a first-half lead, but Tony Diagne equalised just after the hour to earn the Silkmen a replay. Other second round giantkilling feats saw three League Two teams eliminate League One sides. Matt Ritchie scored the only goal of the game as Paolo Di Canio's Swindon Town won 1-0 at Colchester United, and it ended 1-0 at Brisbane Road, Curtis Weston's strike on the stroke of half-time sending League Two Gillingham through at the expense of One's Leyton Orient.

Stourbridge of the EvoStik South Premier Division held League One Stevenage for an hour, but then Chris Beardsley scored twice to set up Boro's 3-0 win. Ryman Division One North side Redbridge's Cup journey had begun with 2-0 win at Cockfosters on September 3 in front of 87 spectators followed by victories over Wingate & Finchley, Bury Town, Dunstable, Ebbsfleet and Oxford City. It finally came to an end at Crawley Town, Matt Tubbs scoring a hat-trick in the League Two pacemakers' 5-0 romp. Redbridge had Vinnie Durrant sent off when the score was 2-0.

In the two all-Conference ties, Gateshead had Chris Carruthers sent off as they lost 2-1 at home to Tamworth, Salisbury and Grimsby Town replay after a goalless draw. Luton Town, sixth in the Conference, lost 4-2 at home to League Two promotion hopefuls Cheltenham, League Two leaders Southend drew 1-1 with League One Oldham at Roots Hall. Barnet, struggling near the bottom of League Two, lost 3-1 at home to MK Dons, but Dagenham & Redbridge drew 1-1 with Walsall of League One.

Both Sheffield sides went though narrowly against lower division sides, Wednesday beating Aldershot 1-0 while United beat Torquay 3-2. In the all-League One tie, leaders Charlton beat Carlisle 2-0; in the all-League Two ties, Bradford beat AFC Wimbledon 3-1 and Shrewsbury beat Rotherham 2-1.