FA takes Warnock to task for demanding linesman is 'banned'
Palace manager asked to explain himself after hitting out at assistant's costly error
Wednesday 17 February 2010
The Football Association have asked Crystal Palace manager Neil Warnock to explain his post-match comments following his side's draw against Aston Villa on Sunday.
Warnock called for assistant referee Trevor Massey to be banned for incorrectly awarding the corner which led to Villa's late equaliser in the FA Cup fifth-round tie at Selhurst Park.
The FA have given the 61-year-old a week to lodge his response and officials will digest his explanation before deciding whether he faces an improper conduct charge. "We have asked Neil Warnock for his observations regarding his media comments after Crystal Palace's match against Aston Villa," said an FA spokesperson. "He has until 23 February to respond."
Warnock appeared on radio the day after the match and insisted he had calmed down after the 2-2 draw.
He told BBC Radio Five Live: "My wife reminded me that in the last round we got a corner against Wolves and it was a goal-kick and we scored the first goal that way."
Warnock, however, did not retract his comments about officials being banned after making high-profile errors. He added: "I was annoyed. I do think they should get banned, only for two or three games, but they have to realise the importance of concentrating at that level for the 90 minutes and not just a period."
Warnock, who was also upset at Massey smiling during his performance, added: "It goes back to my Graham Poll days. I just hate officials smiling when they have done something wrong. It does bug me."
Newcastle United have confirmed Shola Ameobi faces a couple of weeks on the sidelines with a hamstring injury. The striker scored eight goals in nine starts earlier in the season before undergoing surgery on his foot in September.
The 28-year-old's campaign was then hampered again when he missed last weekend's 1-1 draw at Swansea after sustaining a hamstring problem in training. "The injury is a blow for Shola and he'll be missing for a couple of weeks," manager Chris Hughton told the club's official website.
"He's a player who we've seen, when he plays in this division, he's capable of scoring goals. He's a wonderful striker of the ball with both feet and has a lot of ability."
Dave Kevan has been appointed manager of Notts County until the end of the season on a caretaker basis. Kevan has led the Magpies to six wins and a draw during his nine games in charge, helping them up to seventh place in the League Two table.
But he insists he does not want the role on a permanent basis. He told BBC Radio Nottingham: "I don't want to be manager but it's a case of carrying on as we are. If that takes us to the end of the season, then that's what it will be. I will do my best, work as hard as I can and I'm very happy to do that. It is a reluctant 'yes'."
Charlton head physiotherapist Steve Allen has revealed left-back Grant Basey suffered ankle ligament damage and not a broken leg during last night's 2-1 defeat at Bristol Rovers.
Basey was carried from the field following a tackle from Dominic Blizzard only 12 seconds into the game, a challenge that only earned the Pirates midfielder a yellow card.
However, despite initial reports Basey had suffered a broken tibia, Allen told the club's official website: "It's not as bad as was feared at the time. We can't put a timescale on the injury but it could have been a lot worse considering the seriousness of the tackle."
Brighton striker Nicky Forster insists he remains fully committed to the club after clarifying the position regarding his contract situation. The 36-year-old had said he was transfer-listed, which the club denied, and missed three games for Gus Poyet's side.
Forster is out of contract at the end of the season but says he has no desire to leave and will come into contention for Saturday's trip to Leeds.
Forster told the club's official website: "I did not put in a transfer request. However, as the club could not tell me whether I was part of their plans for the following season, it was made clear that I, along with others out of contract at the end of the season, could pursue other options.
"I am dismayed that any statement I made may have been misinterpreted and it was never my intention under any circumstances to imply that I was leaving the club."
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
Latest in Sport
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world