Platini revives idea of FA Cup winners in Champions League
Tuesday 25 May 2010
Michel Platini, the Uefa president, has relaunched the prospect of FA Cup winners qualifying for the Champions League. Platini first launched a proposal for domestic cup winners to take a qualifying slot two years ago but was forced to withdraw it after opposition from the European leagues.
Now the Uefa president has returned to the issue and said: "It's difficult to change the tournament because it's a great success. The access list is something we can think about for the future and I am always feeling that the winners of the cup perhaps have to participate in this competition. They are champions as they have won a trophy and this is the Champions League."
Platini's original proposal from 2008 would see the domestic cup winners take the lowest qualifying spot from a league, in England's case the place in the final qualifying round that goes to the side that finished fourth in the Premier League. He dropped the proposal, however, in return for changes to the competition which allowed more places in the group phase for national league champions from smaller nations.
Latest in Sport
- 1 Are you turning into your dad? The top ten signs you've embraced dad-ism revealed as survey says 38 is age men turn into their father
- 2 Overheard in Waitrose: documenting the chatter in 'Britain's poshest supermarket'
- 3 Video of British Muslims dancing to Pharrell Williams's hit Happy attacked as 'sinful'
- 4 24 people applied for the 'world's toughest job', here are their interviews
- 5 Grace Dent on TV: Game of Thrones has jumped the shark
The food poverty scandal that shames Britain: Nearly 1m people rely on handouts to eat – and benefit reforms may be to blame
US Navy christens huge $3 billion destroyer ship USS Zumwalt that appears as a fishing boat on enemy radar
Scottish independence: It is the English who should be on their knees, begging the Scots to vote ‘No’
Nigel Farage fatigue? Half of voters ‘immune’ to Ukip’s appeal
Nigel Farage: I’m taking on the status quo, and the Establishment’s fighting back
Refugee facing deportation from Sweden saved by fellow passengers refusing to let plane leave