Swansea vs Everton match report: Swans gain historic win over Toffees in Capital One Cup

Swansea 3 Everton 0: Garry Monk comes out on top in battle of former team-mates

Click to follow

Garry Monk got the better of his former team-mate Roberto Martinez here as he masterminded the first victory over Everton in Swansea City’s history.

The newcomer to management played alongside Martinez for Swansea before being made captain by the Spaniard during his three-year reign at the Welsh club. It was the 35-year-old apprentice who came out on top against his former manager courtesy of goals by Nathan Dyer, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Marvin Emnes.

They gave Swansea, who won the League Cup in 2013, their first victory over Everton in 21 attempts and put Monk’s side into the last 16.

The defeat leaves Everton with just two wins, one in the Premier League and one in the Europa League, so far in this campaign; a possible case of second season syndrome under Martinez.

The Everton manager made seven changes for his side’s third game in six days, while Monk swapped five players from the side that lost to Southampton. Swansea started with more urgency than the visitors with Sigurdsson twice going close from long-range in the opening moments.

Samuel Eto’o had a good chance to put Everton in front after 10 minutes when he raced on to Antolin Alcaraz’s punt forward but he could only drag a shot wide with his left foot.

Shortly after, Alcaraz found space at the back post to collect a Luke Garbutt free-kick and Swans goalkeeper Gerhard Tremmel did well to snuff out the opportunity.

Gylfi Sigurdsson scored the second Swansea goal against Everton GETTY

Swansea took the lead just before the half hour and it was no surprise when it came via their lightning-quick winger Jefferson Montero. The Ecuadorian had run Tony Hibbert ragged for 30 minutes before finally finding the killer ball across the visitor’s box for Dyer to slot past Tim Howard.

It was Dyer’s fourth goal of the season, form which has seen him tipped for an England call-up. Roy Hodgson was at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday to watch Dyer, among others, against Southampton but Wilfried Bony’s sending off ended his hopes of impressing with Swansea on the defensive for the remainder of the match.

The home side almost snatched a second goal before the break when Montero again skipped passed Hibbert before curling a shot over.

Martinez reacted by replacing Eto’o with Romelu Lukaku for the second half and the striker showed his prowess after just 30 seconds with a thumping shot from 25 yards.

Howard had to be at his best to stop the home side extending their lead on 53 minutes when Jonjo Shelvey released Montero on the left and his cross was met with a powerful header from Sigurdsson. But there was nothing Howard could do to prevent Sigurdsson doubling Swansea’s lead 10 minutes later. Shelvey’s cross was turned on to the Everton crossbar by Sylvain Distin and when the ball bounced into the six-yard box it was Sigurdsson who reacted to stab it past Howard.

Everton tried to force their way back into the contest in the final 20 minutes but found Tremmel in excellent form. As the visitors pushed for an equaliser Swansea were able to find gaps in the Everton defence and substitute Emnes put the game out of reach 74 seconds after replacing Bafetimbi Gomis with a fine finish from 20 yards.

Man of match Montero.

Match rating 6/10.

Referee R East (Wiltshire).

Attendance 26,397.