Barnet set to leave Underhill ground
Wednesday 14 December 2011
Barnet have announced they are preparing to leave their Underhill ground at the end of the season.
The npower League Two club are at loggerheads with Barnet Council, who were unable to assure they will be licensed to use the ground for the whole of the 2012/13 campaign due to long-standing land issues.
Last week the Bees wrote to the Football League to apply for permission to play at least half of next season at their home of 104 years while they consider other options.
But Barnet have today revealed the League do not want them starting the season without a contingency plan to ensure they can complete their fixtures, meaning the club are looking for another home straight away.
Chairman Tony Kleanthous told the club's official website, www.barnetfc.com: "Our intention has always been to stay at Underhill for a few more years but we are now finally focused on our future location, rather than having the same old discussions with (the) council that never lead anywhere."
However, councillor Richard Cornelius insists Barnet Council have offered a resolution to the current stand-off.
"I just don't recognise this version of events," he told Press Association Sport.
"We have already offered Mr Kleanthous a 15-year extension to his lease at a cost of £7,000 a year. That would let him run the ground safely at its current capacity."
Latest in Sport
Petr Cech demands talks over Chelsea future as Thibaut Courtois begs him to stay – as mentor
Angel Di Maria: Manchester United to push ahead with £50m move for Real Madrid winger
Marcos Rojo to Manchester United: Sporting Lisbon confirm deal with Nani heading back to Portugal on loan
Sami Khedira to Arsenal: Midfield omitted from Real Madrid squad for Spanish Super Cup
David Gold furious after Carlton Cole parody account mocks up a picture of West Ham chairman as a suspect in the Madeleine McCann case
- 1 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 2 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns aged 27
- 3 Cilla Black defends Cliff Richard: 'I am positive that the allegations are without foundation'
- 4 Nicki Minaj finally releases predictable 'Anaconda' video
- 5 James Foley 'beheading': Met police warn public watching murder video could be criminal offence
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again. It would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish Independence Referendum: Salmond described as 'arrogant, ambitious and dishonest' by Scottish women