Barnsley 0 QPR 0: Shot-shy Barnsley fail to fire as Campbell-Ryce left unrewarded

Click to follow
The Independent Football

Jamal Campbell-Ryce's glowing performance should have determined this game in Barnsley's favour last night. He gave the QPR full-back Damien Devaney a torrid time, but the only problem was that the Tykes lacked a striker with a fiery finish.

"We've got a point but possibly with the chances we had we were disappointed that we didn't take all three," said Simon Davey, Barnsley's manager. "I think people have got to appreciate that conditions were poor. The wind was swerving round and lots of passes went astray."

Istvan Ferenczi held the ball up well for Brian Howard who sneaked behind a somewhat ponderous Rangers back line and stung Lee Camp's palms with his drive. Camp was at the centre of a comedy of errors seconds later when he dropped a spinning ball at Ferenczi's feet. The Hungarian ran the ball wide and gave Michael Mancienne time to recover and block.

In a swirling wind the Londoners opted to play more of a high-ball game and, with their height advantage, it made sense but it did not make for control.

After good work by Martin Devaney, Howard swept the ball over to Campbell-Ryce on the right flank. His excellent centre found Ferenczi's head but this time the striker could not bring the ball down and Camp watched it clear the crossbar. For the hosts Dennis Souza and Lewin Nyatanga were a solid pairing at the back, cancelling out Patrick Agyemang's threat.

Rangers emerged for the second half like they meant business. Balanta hit the upright, but Nyatanga cleared with his usual calm. Hogan Ephraim came on for Balanta, hared down the right and set up a shot for Buzsaky, but it lacked direction. Camp got a reminder that Barnsley were not out of the picture despite Rangers' dominance of this half when he had to touch a Diego Leon free-kick over the angle. The same Leon worked a great opening, but the shot inched over the crossbar.

Kayode Odejayi replaced Ferenczi and created an immediate impact, running Mancienne ragged, but the resultant cross was cleared. How Fitz Hall did not concede a penalty for his 86th-minute tackle is known only to the referee Eddie Ilderton. Jon Macken was felled from behind and looked expectantly at the penalty spot but it was not to be.

Barnsley: Steele, Foster, Nyatanga, Souza, Van Homoet, Campbell-Ryce, Hassell, Howard, Devaney (Leon, 68), Macken, Ferenczi (Odejayi, 60). Substitutes not used: Togwell, Ricketts, Potter.

Queen's Park Rangers: Camp; Mancienne, Hall, Connolly, Delaney; Buzsaky (Stewart, 90), Rowlands, Leigertwood, Balanta (Ephraim, 62); Blackstock (Vine, 78), Agyemang. Substitutes not used: Pickens, Lee.

Referee: E Ilderton (Tyne & Wear).